Join the Conversation
The concept of an Intellectual Edge has been discussed in various fora and publications, including the Australian Defence College’s The Australian Joint Professional Military Education Continuum. But are we any closer to a shared understanding?
The JPME Continuum identifies the need to establish an intellectual edge as an essential requirement to generate an advantage over any future adversary. It provides a useful lodestar for professional development but, is it attainable or merely a lofty goal?
This series invites you to contribute your understanding of what an intellectual edge is and should be. The aim is to refine, strengthen and deepen its definition to build greater measurability of what an intellectual edge is – and therefore, what it can be in the future.
As the Australian Defence College team work to evolve the next version of the JPME Continuum, this series will inform what it might look like.
The Forge and the Australian Defence College JPME team would like to thank all the authors who submitted an article.
Submissions closed on Friday, 3 July 2020.
- Intellectual Edge: The Pursuit of Lifetimes by Shawn McCann
- Intellectual Curiosity: Our ticket to the moon by Vedran Maslic
- The Intellectual Edge by Cate Carter
- Civ-Mil sweet spot - PME writing by Reservists by Mark Armstrong
- The Intellectual Edge: A Collective Effect by Christopher Wooding
- The role of culture in developing the intellectual edge by Ulas Yildrim
- The Professions of Arms Needs a CPD Program by Richard Barrett
- Do we have permission for an Intellectual Edge? by Andrew Garnett
- Intellectual Edges: Relating to the Radical by Matthew Gill
- Harnessing the Intellectual Edge: Reform of the ADO from a Loss-focused culture to an Outcomes-focused culture by Bill Kourelakos
Building the nation’s intellectual edge – MAJGEN Mick Ryan AM, Australian Defence College - Defence Connect Podcast
The Intellectual Edge: A Competitive Advantage for Future War and Strategic Competition by Mick Ryan
An Australian Intellectual Edge for Conflict and Competition in the 21st Century by Mick Ryan
What's with the Intellectual Edge? by Tom McDermott
More than just a hashtag: The criticality of developing an Intellectual Edge by Greg Colton
Why We Read: Creating an Intellectual Edge for the Joint Force by Mark Gilchrist
Evolving an Intellectual Edge: Professional Military Education for the Australian Army